Spawners create monsters ingame. When making a map, avoid adding monsters and instead add spanwers. If a monster gets killed, the spawner will make another one after a period of time.
To add a spawner, press s, then select the creature from the pallette, then click on the map somewhere. If you want to spawn monsters in the middle of a room within a certain radius, put the spawner in the middle of that same room.
Click again on the spawner to set it's properties. Default properties are ok, though you may want to review the total quantity spawned and the radius. The radius can be quickly set by hovering the mouse over the spawner, then pressing ` (the tilde key) to make it a spot spawner, or 0-9 keys to set its radius. The spawn quantity can also be quickly set via the + - keys.
To change a spawner's properties, left click the spawner when in edit features mode (press 'f')
- type : 0=spawn a specific creature, 1=spawn a class of creature (see below)
- code/class : 0 for a specific monster, 1 for a class: see below
- rate : 1=spawn every 1 min, 2 spawn every 2 mins, etc
- max : max number to spawn. eg 5
- area : -1=spawn on this square only (use max=1), 0=spawn anywhere on map (put sanc features where you dont want monsters to spawn, eg on islands), 1,2,3...=spawn in a radius around the spawner. Eg area=2 spawns in a square 5x5 with the spawner in the middle.
- script : call a lua function with this name when a monster is spawned
Monster codes and classes
If the spawner type is 0, type hex code of creature to spawn. You can find out the hex codes of spawners by simply editing monsters and clicking on the monster pallette.
If type is 1, type the class number of the creature to spawn. A class is a type of monster, otherwise known as a family. Examples are undead, orc families, large humanoid, animals, etc. The monster classes are:
- lesser undead
- greater undead
- others (don't use)
- sea crits
- blood crits
Select the chest from the spawner palette & place as usual. Note the following parameter changes:
- Put the type to 2 (already set if spawner placed from palette)
- Put the code a hexadecimal value from 0 to f, where this number is the quality of the treasure, f being good, 0 being bad.
- the area can only be 0 or -1. radius spawning does not work. 0 for spawn anywhere, -1 for spawn on the spot. DO NOT USE a radius of 1+ for chest spawners!
- max is the max number of chests to spawn within the area. Set to 1 if the area is set to -1.
When editing spanwers:
- Use ctrl-Left-click on a spawner to copy its values to memory.
- Use shift-Left-click to place a memory copy of that spanwer.
Changing a feature type without changing its values
In feature edit mode, select a feature from the pallette, then shift-right click on an existing feature on the map to convert it to the selected feature.
Eg, say you wanted to change a LXY to a TEL, but wanted to keep the feature's dest-x and dest-y, select TEL from the pallette, then shift-right-click on the LXY on the map to convert it to a TEL.